Download Governor General of India List PDF for free from the source official website using the download link given below. Download Governor General of India List PDF having all pages have been downloaded in English Language Now. Please utilize them for building your knowledge and don’t make them Commercial. We request you to respect our Hard Work.
|Lord Canning||1856-1862||· The Governor General during Mutiny of 1857.
· The first Viceroy of India after the war.
· He removed Doctrine of lapse.
· In his reign, Indian Council Act was passed in 1861
· During his rule, University of Bombay, Calcutta, Madras was established in 1857.
|Lord Lawrence||1864-1869||· In his reign, High Court was established at Calcutta, Bombay, Madras in 1865.
· He formed Indian Forest Department.
· The telegraph line was opened with Europe.
· He introduced various reforms.
· He became the member of Punjab Board of Administration.
· He was known by the name i.e. Savior of Punjab.
|Lord Mayo||1869-1872||· He started financial decentralization in India.
· Rajkot College in Kathiawar & Mayo College in Ajmer for Indian princess was established by him.
· In his time, first Census of India was held in 1871.
· Statistical survey of India was organized by him.
· In Andaman in 1872, he was the only Viceroy murdered in the office by a pathan.
|Lord Lytton||1876-1880||· In order to decorate Queen Victoria with the title of Kaiser-i-hind, the Delhi Durbar was held on January 1, 1877.
· In 1879, the Statutory Civil Service examination was started.
· The maximum age for the civil services exams held in England, was reduced from 21 to 19 years.
· In his reign i.e. in 1878, Vernacular press Act was passed.
|Lord Rippon||1880-1884||· The age for civil service exam was raised to 21 years.
· In 1881, in his reign, First Factory Act was passed which restricted the child labour.
· In 1883, he passed the Illbert Bill.
· In 1882, he passed the Local Self Government act.
|Lord Dufferin||1884-1888||· The Indian National Congress was formed by him.|
|Lord Lansdowne||1888-1894||· In 1892, Indian Council Act was passed.
· Second Factory Act (1891) was passed during his time.
· Durand Commission to define a line between British India and Afghanistan, was appointed by him.
|Lord Curzon||1899-1905||· At his time, the partition of Bengal (1905) was done into 2 provinces- Bengal and East Bengal.
· He passed the Ancient Monuments Act (1904), in order to restore India’s cultural heritage.
· Curzon established Archeological Survey of India.
|Lord Minto||1905-1910||· In his time in 1909, Morley-Minto reform was passed.|
|Lord Hardinge||1910-1916||· Capital of Calcutta shifted to Delhi in 1911, as partition of Bengal was cancelled.
· In 1915, Gandhi ji returned from South Africa.
· Annie Besant launched Home Rule moment during his rule.
· The control over the Indian Government was to be handed over to Indian people according to August Declaration of 1917.
· Rowlett Act 1919 was passed.
· Montague-Chelmsford reform was passed.
· During his reign, Jallianwala Bagh Massacre (1919), Non- Cooperation movement , Khilafat movement took place.
· He opened Women’s University at Poona in 1919.
|Lord Reading||1921-1926||· The incidence of Chauri -Chaura took place during his time.
· Swaraj party was formed at his time.
· In 1921, Ahmedabad session of INS was being held.
|Lord Irwin||1926-1931||· In 1928, Simon commission came to India.
· The incidence of Dandi took in 1930.
· Civil Disobedience movement was started in 1930.
· Gandhi signed Irwin pact. In 1931, First Round Table Conference was held.
|Lord Willingdon||1931-1936||· In his reign, Poona Pact was signed.
· During his time, Second and Third Round Table Conference was held.
· British Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald started Communal Award.
· Government of India Act (1935) was passed.
|Lord Linlithgow||1936-1944||· In provinces, Government of India Act was enforced.
· In 1942, Cripps Mission visited India.
· In 1942, Quit India movement was started.
· In 1939, Second World war took place.
|Lord Wavell||1944-1947||· Shimla Conference between Muslim League and Indian national Congress failed which was held on June 25, 1945.
· In 1946, Cabinet Mission Plan was launched.
· The first meeting of Constituent Assembly was held on December 09, 1946.
|Lord Mountbatten||March 1947- August 1947||· Lord Mountbatten was the Last Viceroy and first Governor General of free India.
· On June 3, 1947, partition of India was done.
· On July 4, 1947, by British parliament India Independent Act was passed.
· According, India Independent Act, India got freedom on August 15, 1947.
· He succeeded C. Rajagopalachari, who was the last Governor General of free India.
Governor General of India – List of Governor General of India
The table represents all the Governor – General of India. Grab all the information about the Governor -General of India.
|Warren Hastings||1772-1785||· Warren Hastings was the first Governor of Bengal.
· He joined the British East India Company in 1750.
· During his reign, Zamindars were given judicial powers.
· At his time, civil and criminal courts in each district was established.
· He found the Calcutta Madrasa, for promotion of Islamic studies in 1781.
· In 1784, Asiatic Society of Bengal was found by him.
|Sir John Macpherson||1785-1786||· The post was held temporarily by him.|
|Lord Cornwallis||1786-1793||· Permanent Settlement of Bengal & Zamindari system was introduced by him.
· An agreement between East India Company and Bengali landlords was made to fix revenues.
· Police reforms was introduced by him.
· Civil Services in India was introduction by him.
|Sir John Shore||1793-1798||· Policy of non-intervention was followed by him.
· Charter Act of 1793 was introduced by him.
|Lord Wellesley||1798-1805||· The policy of Subsidiary Alliance was adopted by him i.e.- a system to keep the Indian rulers under control of the Britishers.
· A College was opened by him to train the Company’s servants in Calcutta
· He came to be known as the Father of Civil Services in India.
· Fort William College at Calcutta was found by him.
|Sir George Barlow||1805-1807||· Mutiny of Vellore in 1806 is the vital event at his time.
· In mutiny of Vellore, the Indian soldiers killed many English officials.
|Lord Minto I||1807-1813||· Apart from Lord Minto I, the Treaty of Amritsar (1809) was concluded by Maharaja Ranjit Singh.|
|Lord Hastings||1812-1823||· Non-intervention policy was ended by him.
· The censorship of press was abolished by him.
· Ryotwari and Mahalawari system in Bombay, was introduced by him.
|Lord Amherst||1823-1828||· During his reign, First Anglo Burmese War (1824-26), took place.
· Mutiny of Barrackpur (1824), took place in hs tenure.
|Lord William Bentick
|1828-1835||· Lord William Bentick was a British Soldier and Statesman.
· William Bentick happens to be the first Governor General of India.
· He made social reforms like abolition of Sati Pratha with the help of Rajaram Mohan Roy, Suppression of Thuggee.
· He established first Medical College in Calcutta.
· English as the language of higher education was made by him.
· He prohibited female infanticide and child sacrifice.
|Sir Charles Metcalfe||1835-1836||· His post was temporary.
· He removed restriction on Vernacular press.
|Lord Auckland||1836-1842||· In his reign, First Afghan War was fought.|
|Lord Dalhousie||1848-1856||· The first Railway line from Bombay to Thane in 1853 was opened by him.
· The first Telegraph line from Calcutta to Agar in 1853 was Opened by him.
· Doctrine of Lapse was introduced by him under which he captured Satara (1848), Jaipur and Sambhalpur (1849), Udaipur (1852), Jhansi (1853), Nagpur (1854).
· He started Grand Trunk Road.
· He established Postal system.
· During his reign, in 1854, Wood’s Dispatch was passed which gave well identified system of education from School to University.
· He passed Widow Remarriage Bill.
Governor General of India List PDF [Governor General of India List Download]
- Governor General of India List PDF – Click to Download